In this article we want to tell you about the curry seasoning, because it is often used in sauces. You will also learn what it is and how to use it.
What is curry
Curry is a word that has several meanings: hot sauce, a mixture of spices. Indians love to add curry to a variety of dishes, from appetizers to desserts. Curry powder is often added to dishes along with other spices.
The following ingredients can be found in curry: turmeric, black pepper, coriander, ginger, bay leaf, cumin, cardamom, nutmeg.
Curry is usually seasoned using a special mill, which allows you to mix several different powders to obtain the desired flavor and color.
Curry seasoning is not only a spicy addition to dishes, but also a kind of antiseptic.
It enhances the effect of other spices and even medicinal plants. The seasoning is very useful for the human body, since with regular use of this spice you can not only strengthen the immune system, but also lower the level of cholesterol in the blood.
Curry spice consists of the following ingredients: garlic, salt, turmeric, coriander, cinnamon, anise, cloves, ginger, nutmeg. Spices are added to a variety of dishes, but most often curry spice is used when cooking meat, fish, and poultry.
Depending on what dish you are preparing, you can use certain combinations of spices and add them at the very end of cooking, or pre-mix all the spices.
Spices such as ground black pepper, paprika, black and red ground pepper, allspice, cardamom, nutmeg (seeds), bay leaf, cumin seeds, thyme are usually added to the classic curry.
This is a classic curry spice that can be used in any dish. You should not use a lot of spices in all dishes at once.
In this case, they will not open well. If you want to make it more spicy, you can increase the amount of spices.
The spices included in the curry seasoning give the dish a bright, rich taste and aroma. Taste and smell The color of curry can vary from beige to brown.
The shade will depend on what spices were used to prepare the seasoning. Curry spice is made mainly from black and white peppers, ground cinnamon, cloves, fennel seeds and fresh ginger. Anise and chili are added at the end of cooking.
To obtain a more spicy taste, more spices are added to the seasoning than indicated in the recipe. Curry spice is widely used as a seasoning for various dishes.
For example, meat, fish, vegetables. Spices are added in very small quantities, otherwise the spice of the curry will not have a very pleasant taste.
Chemical composition and calorie content
The composition of Curry seasoning includes such useful substances as: vitamins; minerals; antioxidants. The seasoning contains a large amount of minerals.
For example: potassium, magnesium, calcium, sodium, iron, phosphorus, zinc. In addition, the spice contains vitamins B, D, E, PP. The calorie content of curry is only 180 kcal per 100 g of product.
Types of curry
There are several types of curry sold in stores. They all differ from each other in taste and method of preparation:
- Seasoning with a spicy aroma. This type of curry uses spices such as turmeric, cumin, coriander, cardamom, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice.
- Seasoning with a spicy taste. This curry differs from the previous one by containing more pepper. The spices also include: ginger, pepper, cloves, coriander.
- The curry mixture is commonly used in a variety of dishes and can also be added to meat, fish and vegetables.
Benefits and harms
Curry seasoning is good for health because it contains a large amount of vitamins and minerals. However, it is worth considering that in large quantities, curry can be harmful to the body, as it can cause allergies and lead to stomach upset.
Therefore, the amount of spices must be kept under control. You also need to pay attention to the presence of various additives in the composition that can harm the body.
For example, flavorings can cause stomach upset, and the dyes contained in curry can cause an allergic reaction.
It must be remembered that curry is a spice that can cause disorders in the body. To avoid this, you must carefully read the composition of the seasoning before purchasing.
Curry must contain turmeric. And it is better to use fresh seasoning, because it will retain the maximum amount of nutrients. The curry mixture is included in popular Indian dishes.
Use in cooking
Curry seasoning is known all over the world. It is used both independently and together with other seasonings. At the same time, curry can be used as an independent dish, which will be an excellent addition to meat, fish or rice. By adding curry to rice, it can be made more tender, nutritious and flavorful.
Curry is used very often as an independent dish. Most often, this seasoning is added to: beef, lamb, pork, chicken or turkey feeder. Curry can also be added to various salads.
Thus, curry goes well with potatoes, tomato salad, cheese, tomatoes or bell peppers, as well as various vegetables such as spinach, beans, broccoli and cauliflower.
When adding curry to fish dishes, it is best to use fish in small quantities so as not to overpower the delicate flavor of the fish or shrimp.
What dishes are they added to?
Because this spice has a bright color, it is often used to color food. For example, if you add curry to chicken broth, it will acquire a beautiful golden hue.
And adding it to fried meat will help make it more piquant, aromatic and tasty. Curry is used in most types of pilaf.
If you add this spice to pork pilaf, it will acquire a richer taste. Various sauces, soups, gravies, salads, side dishes and many other dishes are prepared from curry.
What spices does it go with?
Curry seasoning is combined with many spices and herbs. For example, it can be mixed with turmeric, nutmeg, black pepper, asafoetida, garlic, coriander, and cumin.
These spices complement each other perfectly and have a beneficial effect on the body.
What to replace
You can replace Curry with other spices – turmeric or curry powder. And black pepper or paprika are perfect as a seasoning for meat, fish or poultry.
It can also be dried parsley or basil. Add curry to dishes in moderation, because this spice is very hot.
A more Indian curry
Hot sauce has a bright taste and pleasant aroma, so it is used to prepare various dishes.
- 1 tablespoon mustard;
- 2 tablespoons crushed chili pepper;
- 1 tablespoon turmeric;
- 0.5 cups flour;
- 3 tablespoons of ghee or vegetable oil;
- 0.5 cups of yogurt;
- 3 cloves of garlic;
- 0.5 teaspoon salt;
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground cardamom;
- some fresh cilantro and mint.
- 500 grams of chicken fillet;
- 1 large bell pepper;
- 1 large onion;
- 1 small hot red pepper;
- 1-2 large tomatoes;
- 1 glass of basmati rice;
- lemon juice;
- curry seasoning
How to do:
- Fry garlic, pressed through a press, cilantro and mint in vegetable oil. At the same stage, finely chopped chili pepper and turmeric are added.
- In a separate container, mix the flour and yogurt thoroughly until smooth, then add the butter to this mixture, stirring constantly to obtain a homogeneous mass.
- Add grated chili pepper, salt and ground cardamom to the resulting mass.
- Cut the chicken fillet into not very large pieces and fry for 10 minutes over high heat until a crust forms.
- Fry the onion and bell pepper in a mixture of vegetable and ghee.
- Add tomatoes, cut into small cubes, and simmer the vegetables for another 15 minutes.
- Add the prepared sauce and cook until it reaches the consistency of thick sour cream.
- Pour the boiling sauce over the rice and simmer for another 5-10 minutes.
- Divide the rice into bowls, garnish with fried vegetables and serve.
Homemade curry recipe
Making curry sauce at home is easy if you use the recipe below.
- Curry – 1 h. l.
- Tomatoes – 250 gr.
- Water – 100 ml
- Olive oil – 50 ml
- Honey – 50 ml
How to cook:
- Take the tomatoes, peel them, chop them and grind them in a blender.
- Add water to the tomatoes and puree again.
- Mix tomato puree with olive or any other oil and honey. Warm the entire mixture over low heat until the honey is completely dissolved.
- Sprinkle with curry.
Curry sauce goes well with many dishes. It can be added to meat or fish. It goes great with vegetable salads, pasta, rice and other dishes.
Curry sauce contains spices such as turmeric, ginger, chili pepper, onion, garlic, tomatoes, and vegetable oil.
There are several types of curry sauce.
For example, curry low is a thick product that is most suitable for preparing poultry dishes. Classic curry sauce is prepared using turmeric, but you can replace it with curry powder.
When preparing the sauce, it is best to use a wok, which allows you to heat the ingredients quickly and evenly over high heat while preserving their flavor.
How to select and store
Choosing curry seasoning is not difficult. However, in order for it to be of truly high quality and not disappoint in taste, you need to pay attention to several points:
- The sauce must be packaged in a cardboard or paper box.
- The weight of the seasoning must correspond to the specified volume. If you see that the packaging has become incomplete, it means that the manufacturer has clearly gone too far with the seasonings.
- The shelf life of the spice should be at least six months or a year. If the expiration date has expired, it is not recommended to buy such a product.
- The seasoning should contain at least 70% curcumin, 10% ginger and pepper, 20% dill and 5% garlic.
Curry seasoning should be stored in a dark and cool place at temperatures up to 20 degrees. When purchasing sauce, you also need to pay attention to the date of manufacture.
Before purchasing, you should carefully study the composition of the seasoning. In addition to the main ingredient, it may also contain coriander and suneli hops, which give the sauce a piquant aroma.